TVEH ANIMAL REHABILITATION SERVICES, Come, Stay, and Heal!
The Toronto Veterinary Emergency Hospital offers a broad array of rehabilitation services, provided by a technician who is certified in canine rehabilitation.
The goal of rehabilitation is to improve the quality of life of your pet by decreasing pain and increasing mobility. Rehabilitation can dramatically help patients with soft tissue injuries, osteoarthritis and disc disease, to name only a few common conditions. These illnesses can result in pain, weakness or incoordination, and difficulty performing normal daily activities. At TVEH, rehabilitation is a regular part of the post-op recovery plan for orthopedic surgery patients.
Many rehabilitation methods and treatments can be used. Each assessment begins with a thorough physical and musculoskeletal evaluation, used to create a custom-made in-clinic or outpatient rehabilitation program. All outpatient rehabilitation plans include written instructions. These ensure that the therapeutic exercises are being done correctly and efficiently, and helps answer any questions you may have.
These are some of the many different types of rehabilitation therapy we offer:
Manual Therapy: uses range of motion, joint manipulation and stretching to improve the health of the joints
Thermotherapy and Cryotherapy: provide pain relief and anti-inflammatory benefits
Low Level Laser Therapy: provides pain relief, reduces inflammation, assists in tissue repair and wound management, and stimulates acupuncture points
Electrical Muscle Stimulation: for stimulation of muscles that require strengthening or neuromuscular re-education
Neurological Rehabilitation: multiple techniques that strengthen the core; proprioceptive neurofacilitation (functional and repetitive movement patterns that improve strength & coordination)
Common conditions that benefit from rehabilitation include:
- Post-Op Orthopedic: including cruciate injuries, fractures, and other bone and joint surgeries
- Pre-operative: to improve strength prior to cruciate repair or elective surgery including femoral head ostectomy or patella luxation
- Nonsurgical orthopedic: improve outcome by reducing pain, maintaining joint health, and providing multimodal arthritis treatment
- Soft Tissue Conditions: iliopsoas, infraspinatus and other muscle strains; biceps, Achilles and other tendinopathy; management of myofascial trigger points
- Neurological Conditions: surgical and non-surgical spinal injury including cervical, thoracolumbar and lumbosacral disc disease (IVDD) and fibrocartilage emboli; supportive care and mobility aids for Degenerative Myelopathy
- Arthritis and geriatrics: multimodal approach to arthritis to improve quality of life; provide treatment options for feline patients
- Palliative Care program: maintain function and quality of life while focusing on pain management; mobility aids
If you have any questions regarding the rehabilitation service, please do not hesitate to contact us at 416-247- VETS (8387)
CALL: 416-247-VETS (8387)
We are open 24 hours a day 365 days a year for all pet emergencies.
Click here to send us a message through our online form.